It was Force Friday as Disney and Lucasfilm began flooding the marketplace with merchandise for Star Wars: The Force Awakens. It was a global toy launch for the products as an unprecedented 18+ hour toy unboxing event occured on YouTube. The simulcast began in Sydney and jumped around to numerous locations around the world including Hong Kong, France, Germany before concluding in San Francisco at LucasFilm headquarters. During the event, hosts highlighted some of the new products that would be available at more than 3,000 retail locations in the U.S.
Many of those retail locations in the U.S. opened their doors at midnight for fans to be among the first to discover new Star Wars products. Lightsabers, collectibles, apparel and more are available in a wide variety of locations.
- Disney Store: A large collection of exclusive merchandise including role play items, talking action figures and figure play sets, along with themed apparel, tech accessories, mugs, journals and more
- J. Crew: Apparel for men, women and kids featuring the fan-favorite “Chewie, we’re home” scene of Chewbacca and Han Solo from the Star Wars: The Force Awakens teaser trailer
- Khol’s: A Star Wars collection of Rock & Republic® misses apparel and Mighty Fine juniors apparel offers female fans graphic tees, leggings, sweatshirts, hoodies and dresses
- Pottery Barn Kids: The ultimate Millennium Falcon children’s bed, looking like something seen from a galaxy far, far away
- JCPenney: A villainous take on home merchandise featuring new characters from the Dark Side, such as First Order Stormtroopers and Kylo Ren
There will be some items that will be released in a second wave of merchandising as the film nears its debut in theaters. Disney and Lucasfilm hope to preserve the intergity of some key movie moments, but fans can look forward to items featuring the newest characters including the ever popular BB-8.
Fans of Disney Infinity will want to mark their calendar for December 18 as the latest Play Set will be released for Disney Infinity 3.0, Star Wars: The Force Awakens, will bring your favorite characters from the new film to life.