Summer is over, schools are in session and cooler weather invites us all to get away from the hustle and bustle and chill out. Since I grew up in Texas I know there are so many locations to visit that have such character. Texas has such distinct beauty whether in the deserts, the plains, the coast or the piney woods you’ll find something to peak your interest.
One of those areas in the Texas Hill Country so beautiful in the spring and the fall and nestled in the heart of the hill country is New Braunfels, Texas. Even though we are headed into the fall this area of Texas has temperatures in September that range from high 90’s to highs of 82 in October. That provides you plenty of opportunities to still enjoy a little tubing on the river.
Fall Events in New Braunfels
- Comal County Fair & Parade – The biggest county fair in Central Texas!
- BBQ Cook Off, PRCA Rodeo, Home Brew Contest
- Washer Pitching, Carnival, Antique Farm Tractor/Implement Show,
- Tanya Tucker & Gary Glenn, Doug Stone, Rick Trevino
- Gruene Music & Wine Festival – Taste some wonderful Texas Hill Country wines and enjoy some great music!
- Michael Martin Murphey
- Aaron Watson
- Hal Ketchum
- Craft Beer Event
- Texas Clay Festival – Featuring top Texas potters and artists with demonstrations from the pottery wheel to hand building to raku firing.
- Dia De Los Muertos Festival – Celebrating Hispanic culture with an ofrenda, the ritual alter honoring lost loved ones, kids activities, live entertainment, food trucks, arts & crafts, face painters, vendors, shopping, contests and more.
Texas Wineries and Craft Breweries
For more outdoor fun the Texas Hill Country wineries offer their harvest wines and the Texas Hill Country Craft Beer Trail serve up some tasty brews. Both offer a variety of events and special offerings.
In New Braunfels you can enjoy five of the Texas Hill Country Craft Beer Trail breweries:
- Faust Brewing Company
- New Braunfels Brewing Company*
- Guadalupe Brewing Company
- Rugged Man Brewing
- 5 Stones Artisan Brewery*
*Recently rated among the Top 25 craft breweries in Texas!
There are 53 unique and visually stunning wineries scattered throughout the Texas Hill Country and you can enjoy two of the top rated wineries in New Braunfels:
Rivers, Caves and a Cable Lake
- The Rivers
New Braunfels is best known for summer fun in the rivers – the Comal River and the Guadalupe River. But tubing in September is peaceful and romantic and later in the fall canoeing, kayaking and fishing there can’t be beat.
Natural Bridge Caverns offers the chance to explore with Adventure Tours that let you taste the excitement of discovering a cave. And there is a challenging four-story obstacle course and a spectacular zip line to ride down over the Texas Hill Country.
- Wakeboard/Waterski/Snowboard/Skateboard/Stand Up Paddleboard
Texas Ski Ranch (TSR) is a 70-acre action sports paradise. Ranked as one of the top wakeboarding and cable park facilities in the world, where you can learn to ski and wakeboard or snowboard, skateboard or stand up paddleboard.
New Braunfels, Texas, is also mid-way between two other popular Texas vacation destinations – Austin and San Antonio, which are only an hour away. All this makes New Braunfels a great value for a great weekend getaway or a fall vacation. Come have fun in New Braunfels!